The Amy Phelps Art Scholarship was established in the name of Amy Phelps, a local artist, who lost her life in a tragic car accident. It is with excitement and gratitude that the Suffolk Foundation has been asked to manage this worthwhile scholarship. It gives the Foundation and the Phelps family much pleasure to assist a local student to follow in Amy’s footsteps and fulfill their dreams. The $2,000 scholarship is available to local high school graduating seniors who are pursuing a career in art and who have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Graduating seniors from the following school systems are eligible to apply: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, or Southampton Academy.
The purpose of the Amy Phelps Art Scholarship is to provide an annual award to at least one scholarship applicant. The annual award will be given for the sole purpose of paying for college expenses. The Scholarship will be a grant awarded to one qualified applicant and funds will be sent directly to the college or university, once enrollment has been verified.
· Student must be a graduating senior from one of the following high schools: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, or Southampton Academy
· The graduate must be pursuing a career in art in college
· A minimum 3.0 GPA is required to apply
· Two recommendations are required – one must be from the student’s high school art teacher and one other personal reference
· No more than 3 Copies or Photocopies of your art work are to be furnished with the application
A 200-word essay entitled, “What Has Influenced My Love for Art and How Will It Enhance My Future” is required