The purpose of the Howard D. Mast Memorial Scholarship is to provide an annual award to one or more scholarship applicants. The annual award will be given for the sole purpose of paying college expenses. The Scholarship will be a grant awarded to one qualified candidate and will be sent directly to the college or university, once enrollment has been verified. The scholarship amount will be based on the interest earned on the invested funds. The current value of the scholarship is $5,000.
Numerous students, friends, co-workers, and fellow citizens, all of whose lives were enhanced by their association with Howard D. Mast, have generously given to establish, in his memory, the Howard D. Mast Memorial Scholarship. Howard D. Mast passed away on October 27, 2006. Mr. Mast had previously served the City of Suffolk and its citizens as Director of Parks and Recreation from 1949 until 1966, coached the first tennis team at Virginia Wesleyan College, served as facilities engineer at Norfolk State University, coached the Nansemond River High School boys’ tennis team, organized and directed the Suffolk Tennis Association, presided over both the Virginia and Mid-Atlantic Tennis Associations, and, for decades, served as mentor, teacher, coach, and friend to countless citizens, young and old, in the City of Suffolk and beyond.
During his entire life, Howard Mast tirelessly promoted the game of tennis among youth and adults in the City of Suffolk, the State, and the Mid-Atlantic Region. He positively and profoundly affected the lives of countless young people in their development as tennis players, as athletes in other sports, and as good citizens of the community. Throughout his life, he exhibited unwavering loyalty and dedication to his family, his friends, his community, and the institution and people he served.
For the above reasons, with great honor and pride, The Suffolk Foundation is proud to announce the establishment of the annual Howard D. Mast Memorial Scholarship.
Each scholarship applicant must be, at the time of the award, a current resident of the City of Suffolk and either:
- A graduating senior at one of the public or private high schools located in the City of Suffolk or a senior in an accredited home school program conducted in Suffolk.
- A former graduate of one of the public or private high schools located in the City of Suffolk, or formerly a senior in an accredited home school program conducted in Suffolk who is then currently enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university in the United States.
The Award Committee shall consider and make its recommendation based on the following criteria.
- Financial need
- Participation in sport/s at the Applicant’s high school, college or university, as applicable
- Personal characteristics exemplifying the character of Howard D. Mast, including, but not limited to, honesty, integrity, strong moral fiber, diligence, sportsmanship, and perseverance
- Involvement in community, religious, or civic affairs